* Please ignore the fact that I keep calling these sconces. I've only just realized that they probably aren't sconces, but since I've been calling them that all week, I'll stick with it.
I posted last Sat about a project I'd started, which was inspired by Nester over at Nesting Place. I had all intentions of getting this finished and posted by Monday at the latest. I don't know about y'all, but deadlines never work out for me. Go figure.
Anyway, I got everything painted and temporarily hung where I wanted them and then decided that I didn't like the two larger wood sconces. They looked horrible after I painted them and they just didn't play well with the others. So... I started over with placement. I had everything almost in place and was driving a nail in for one of the last pieces on the bottom when the top left sconce fell and knocked all but two pieces down. Luckily, only one corbel broke. Still...
I'd like to take a second to mention that this is the point where I gave up trying to do this myself and called in the reinforcements.
Now that I had someone who always knows how to do things better than I do (seriously), I had to find a way to fill three gaps (the two booted sconces and one broken corbel) in my display which basically meant that I had to find three fillers and then work on placement again. Thankfully, I have such a big stash that I was able to recover quickly. I remembered a collection of ornate frames that I'd been working on a couple of months ago. I'd planned to sell them on Etsy once I finished them. Of course, I hadn't gotten around to finishing them so there they were. See, sometimes it pays to be a slacker.
Anyway, Charles had the brilliant idea of taking a photo of every sconce, corbel and frame and then using Photoshop to work out placement. Here's the chopped and shopped wall.
nice, right??? so much simpler than putting 1,000 nail holes in the wall
while trying to work it all out
After that, it was easy-peasy. Using the chop-shop photo, I directed while Charles hung everything. We ended up using anchors and screws so that everything would be more secure. This basically means that I CANNOT change the layout of these. heh.
I'm really happy with this tiny slice of wall and I'm soooo glad I'm a collection-type thrifter. If I start seeing enough of something while I'm out, I'll begin to get them and save 'em up for something. It really paid off here.
Linking to:Think Pink Sunday @ Flamingo Toes
Nifty Thrifty Sunday @ Nifty Thrifty Things
Hookin' Up With HOH @ House of Hepworths
Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming
Sundae Scoop @ i heart naptime
MMM @ C.R.A.F.T.
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
Amaze Me Monday @ Dittle Dattle
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple
Met Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Weekend Warrior Link Party @ Ask Anna
Making the World Cuter Monday @ Making the World Cuter
Mad Skillz Party @ Mad In Crafts
Paint Projects Link Party @ Centsational Girl
Trash to Treasure Tues @ Sassy Sites
Get Your Craft On @ Today's Creative Blog
Tues Link Party @ A Bowl Full of Lemons
Transformation Thurs @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
Show & Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest