-->

Thursday, February 3, 2011

DIY Pedestal Bowls

I looooove pedestal bowls.  They're perfect for just about anything.  You can use them in vignettes.  They look great in an entryway, being used as a catchall for change, jewelry, keys or phone.  If they're big enough, they're great as a fruit bowl.  

In my year of thrifting and makeovers, I've only found two of them.


After the whole cheese dome cloche fad that Allison from House of Hepworths started last year, (I'm still on that bandwagon, by the way) I figured it wouldn't be too far of a stretch to make a pedestal bowl out of separate parts.  So I began thrifting wooden bowls to go along with my thrifted candlesticks.  I've found that nice teak salad bowls work great for this.  The thicker the bowl, the better.  I will say that since I sell my finished products, I don't use glue (not even Gorilla) to hold things together anymore.  I get Charles two screw everything together so it won't fall apart during shipping.  If you are doing this project as something you intend to keep, by all means, you can use glue.  

BEFORE

AFTER


BEFORE

AFTER


Easy peasy!


Oh yeah, don't forget to head on over and enter my 600 followers GIVEAWAY!  You could win these!


Linking to:
Hookin' Up With HOH @ HOH
Crafty Soiree #23 @ Yesterday On Tuesday 
Thrilling Thurs @ Paisley Passions 
Everything but the Kitchen Sink @ A Little Knick Knack 
Friday's Unfolded @ Stuff and Nonsense 
Fab Friday @ Frugal & Fabulous Design 
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest 
Feature Yourself Friday @ Fingerprints on the Fridge 
Show & Share Day @ Just a Girl 
Remodelaholics Anonymous  
Weekend Wrap-up Party @ Tatertots & Jello 
Friday Flair @ Whipperberry
1 Month 2 Win It - Season One 
Thrilling Thurs Link Party @ Paisley Passions  
Under $100 Linky Party @ Beyond the Picket Fence 
Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table & Dreaming
Met Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch 

69 crafty peeps said:

  1. AMAZING!! Brilliant idea!! I love it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! You've got me on a thrifting bug today! I'd love to make one of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love the light blue pedestal! You've got me wanting to stop at the thrift store and look for wooden bowls and candle sticks!
    Thank you for the inspiration.
    I'm a follower!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pedestal bowls too! And like you, I've found only two so far. I like how you've created new ones from a bowl and a candlestick. They look like the real thing, maybe even better because they have different shapes. I also like the colors you've painted yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love these. I love making new out of old. I can't wait to get to my thrift store!

    The Farm Girl at thefarmgirlrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny, I had just picked up a teak bowl and some thick wooden candle holders at GW to do just this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in love with pedestal bowl, too! I am always on the hunt for them, and you are right, they can be hard to find! Yours are gorgeous, you would never guess what they started out life as! I especially love that beautiful blue one. We must be on the same wave length, because I am currently working on two pedestals, one that I created from a bowl, candlestick, and wooden base from Michaels! I will have to post them when I'm finished:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these! Definitely saving the idea for future reference.

    Just a quick question - how do you screw the two pieces together? From inside the bowl down into the top of the candlestick?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea. I will definately be on the look for wooden bowls. Thanks for sharing you great idea. Karie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these bowls!! Two of my favorite colors too! Thought I'd let you know I nominated you for the stylish blogger award! I always love looking at your stuff!! Stop by and check it out if you get a chance!

    http://craptastickatie.blogspot.com/2011/02/me-stylish-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at you! Very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a pedestal bowl addict!! I love them. I can't wait to go visit your shop again....I just love your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! Now I'm going to be on the look out for a bowl and a pedastal! Yours are gorgeous.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love anything pedestal and these bowls are fantastic! Love the shade of blue you used!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great idea! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look fab, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely idea! Thanks for sharing. The green round pedestal bowl is gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just found your site...It is adorable. I can not wait to follow you. And I grabbed a button:) Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how cool! I really like the way you refinish these! And thanks for the idea on making one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! You should sell a few on etsy, i might just buy a few!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh wow just visited your etsy shop & I'm in love with those trinket boxes. I'm redoing my living room & think they would be perfect! Off to score them for myself

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this idea, well done!I'm happily blog hopping today and so glad I found your lovely blog. Wishing you happiness and a wonderful weekend. Hugs, Katherine
    P.S. heading over to enter your giveaway now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Great idea! They turned out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! These are FAB! I never see stuff like this in our thrift shops! I'm just not looking for the right things! I want one!
    Jo-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the one you put together and painted blue, Kristi! I found one of those pedestal bowls ~ the first one you show. I wound up painting mine Heirloom White and I love changing out what I put in it. I have it in the center of my kitchen table.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Brilliant! LOVE these! And so easy, which is my kind of project :)

    Found you over @ Remodelaholic :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this idea! The blue ones are just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I *absolutely* love these! I have purchased only two pedestal bowls while thrifting as well. I always look for them too. What a great way to make your own. I will keep my eye out now so I can make some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are great, thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those pedestal bowls are ridiculously cute! I need to look out for some of those ugly candlesticks and bowls when I'm thrifting. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE this!! Brillant idea, you should come link up at WhipperBerry.

    kisses
    heather

    ReplyDelete
  32. Found you from Someday Crafts and now I must read all entries. :) :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Um, awesome! I'm off to a thrift store to copy, copy, copy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ooh, these are fabulous! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Another thing to add to my goodwill hunts!

    Great idea & I featured you today on my blog, and I would love for you to check it out!

    Amanda

    frillsandfrolic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. The blue one is my favorite! You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  37. How clever - I never would have guessed by looking at the final product. I'm bookmarking this.

    ReplyDelete
  38. First off, thanks for linking to my cloches!

    Second, you wont even believe me. I have had a homemade pedestal bowl (cute wooden CVS square bowl & chunky candlestick) glued together and sitting in my garage waiting to be spray painted for oh, 3 months. It's one of my half finished projects I need to just well, finish.

    We must really think alike! I love yours by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very cute!! Visiting from the under $100 linky party... and glad I came! Im a fellow thrifter and am lovin what you do...

    Would love for you to Follow back @ www.fabulesslycrafty.blogspot.com

    Tara :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I featured your project on my Fab Friday Favorites today - thank you for linking up!

    Cheers!

    julie

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love this idea. I'm featuring this on my blog, Sassy Sanctuary, if you'd like to check it out!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Course you already know I love these! Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!

    ReplyDelete
  43. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. The green is my favorite. what color paint is that, if you don't mind me asking? It's the PERFECT green I've been looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love these! I saw you on Singing with the Birds and had to hop on over. Now, if I could JUST get my thrift stores to have decent parts of the project.

    ReplyDelete
  45. These are so cute, definitely will be making some of these! Thanks for linking up to Beyond the Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is one of the best posts I've come across in a while. Now I know little pieces to look for in the thrift stores! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Brillant! I'm definitely making one (or many)!

    I'm a new follower after seeing this project at Beyond the Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love this! Just featured it on my blog www.auntielolocrafts.blogspot.com

    Thanks!

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  49. Genius... why didn't I think of that?! LOL! I love them!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a great idea!! I've looked for pedestals too with no luck. How cool and I LOVE the colors you chose. I would love it if you would link this up to my blog party, A Marvelous Mess. At each party I will pick one project to feature on my sidebar for a week!! Here is the link: http://marvelouslymessy.blogspot.com/2011/02/marvelous-mess-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thanks for sharing....this is the type of thing I would walk right past at the thrift shop because I only see what it is not what it could be! They all look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  52. These are soooo cute. I've done this before with bigger bowls, but never thought to try the smaller ones. I will now! Thanks for the inspiration. You also do a good job on your painting and distressing.

    ReplyDelete
  53. WOW! Great idea! And I love the colors you chose for these, as well as the distressing. Nice job! ~Stephanie from Buttermilk Hill

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love the blue pedastal bowl! I have made the glass cakeplates,but I must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Just have to tell you I LOVE THESE!!! Thanks for the tute (-:
    Malia
    www.yesterdayontuesday.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. SOOOOoo cute! I have to try!

    acupofsparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  57. Absolutely gorgeous! One question: are your paints food safe?

    ReplyDelete
  58. I know this is an old post but I would like to know what color paint was used if possible. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  59. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete