-->

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Making Felt Leaves


Ok, I thought about something when I sat down to write this post.  I hope, hope, hope that nobody thought I actually made the felt for the leaves.  I'm sure there is a way to do it, but I'm also sure it's not worth it when you can buy a sheet of felt for 25 cents.
 

What you need:
  • sheets of felt in various fall colors (I got mine at Hobby Lobby)
  • embroidery threads in colors that match your felt
  • embroidery needle
  • scissors
  • images of leaves
  • straight pens
  • a blue water soluble fabric pen (not necessary, but helpful)

What you do:
  • Google "leaf clip art" and find the images you like.  
  • Enlarge the images and then print them out.  I usually just copy the image and then paste in into a Word document and resize it from there. 
  • Cut the leaf image out and pin it to a piece of felt.
  • Cut around the leaf template.
  • Remove the template.
  • Next, with the water soluble pen, map out any leaf veins on your cut out felt leaf.

  • Using a simple stitch, stitch over your marks. 

  • When you're finished with the embroidery, rinse the leaf in cold water to remove the ink lines.  The backs might look like this, but that's ok.

That's it!  

I've decided to wait and do the "putting it all together" in another post so look for it tomorrow. 


This post is Part 3 of 4 of my Fiber Fall Wreath Series.
See Part 1 here.
See Part 2 here.




Linking to:
Tutorial Tues @ Hope Studios
Fall Festival @ This Blessed Nest 
We Did It Weds @ Sew Much Ado 

4 crafty peeps said:

  1. Ca-ute! That is something I think I can handle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are a girl after my own heart!
    i love felt! i think since it's so similar to a sweater. and i love a sweater too. these leaves are so festive.

    thanks for linking up with the FALL FESTIVAL!
    kelie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute craft.. gonna try to make some to decorate my son's room with.

    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a nice idea, i love the color and will try to do a similar one for my house. Great blog !

    ReplyDelete