-->

Friday, January 22, 2010

Food Stuff

Last month, my husband, Charles, and I watched the film "Food Inc". This was a very eye-opening film for us. It has changed the way we eat in this house. Since watching it, we've modified our diet. We are no longer eating meat (hubby still eats seafood) and we are eating as few processed foods as possible. I'd always been a little finicky about eating meat, but give me something fast and cheap from a box, and I was all over it. Nevermind that I couldn't pronounce half of the words in the ingredients list, it was cheap! And frozen foods... wooowee. Every time I came home from the store, my husband had to rearrange the freezer so that we could cram the new "entrees" in. You see, I was working 40 hours a week and going to school and I didn't want to spend my weekends cooking food for the week. Boxed food was all I had time to prepare. We also ate out at least two to three times a week. Now that I'm not working, I have time to sit down and go through recipes and prepare them. I make as much as I can from scratch. I'm still using some canned veggies, but I'm also buying a lot more fresh veggies too. A few weeks ago, we decided to switch to organic. Now I shop at Whole Foods instead of the local bonus-card savings grocery store. My grocery bill has gone up by $15-$20 a week. I'm kind of on the fence about this. While I do want to prepare healthy and nutritious meals for my family, I also want to save money. I'm thinking about shopping at the local store and buying the ingredients I can't find there, at Whole Foods. My husband says that since we aren't going out to eat like we used to (we've only been going out twice a month now), that we can afford the larger grocery bill. I don't know.. I'll have to think on this one some more.

0 crafty peeps said:

Post a Comment