-->

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

2014 Etsy Craft Party



Every year, thousands of crafters across the world get their craft on, together, at the annual Etsy Craft Party. This year's theme was Recapture: bring new meaning to your photographs.  



My local party was hosted by the SC Etsy Team, and was held at Due South Coffee located at Taylors Mill Properties in Taylors, SC.  
photos courtesy of Plate of View, Town, Molly Waits, Sweet to the Soul



I'd brought along some photos of my mom, not really knowing what exactly we would be doing with our photos.  Turns out the project involved embroidering our photos.  After thinking about it for a few minutes, I decided  just couldn't do that to these photos.  While I love the idea of adding some spunk to old photos, these just mean too much to me.  Luckily, our hosts provided an alternative project; decorating coffee mugs with paint pens.  



I absolutely can't draw, but I can doodle. Here's my finished mug. 



My friend, Sarah, was wise enough to bring some old candids she found in an antique shop, and her finished project was really great!  Here she is, stitching away on a photo that has been the topic of much discussion about it's subjects.  Who were they?  Best friends?  Sisters?  What happened to them? Are they still alive?  Did they remain friends?



Our fellow Etsians/crafters stitching away. 



The mill where the coffee shop is located, is home to many local artists' studios, and so they host a First Friday on the first Friday of every month. This one coincided with the craft party.  Many of the First Friday attendees stopped by the coffee house, and I was pleasantly surprised at the number of them who came up to the various (craft) tables, curious about what we were doing. It was nice to see that there's such a big interest in the crafting movement.  

I really had a great time at the party.  I met some new people, and I fell in love with a coffee shop located in an old Southern mill.  I can't wait for next year!


Until next time...





5 crafty peeps said:

  1. Wow. That is such a splendid idea. To meet people with similar interests. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always fun to create with other people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like so much fun! Too bad they didn't tell you to have copy of a photo ready. Hand embroidered photos would be awesome for the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I didn't know that and it look so much fun. I like collecting old post cards I always think about the questions you asked when I read them.

    ReplyDelete