Well, I'm still alive, and still baking this little bun. We've got about 10 weeks until her debut, and I'm just putting the finishing touches on her room.
Today, I want to share her mobile with you.
I'd planned on making one from the beginning, I just couldn't figure out what I wanted. I shared one type of mobile with you all, months ago. I actually started making that one, but of course, as soon as I found out I was having a girl, my nursery plans changed. Out went the gender-neutral room, and in came the floor to ceiling girly room.
I ran across this mobile a sometime back in late summer, and decided I'd give it a shot, even though, it seemed to be pretty time-consuming.
Following this link will take you to The Handmade Home, and to the tutorial for the mobile. I'm just gonna run through a few tidbits on how I made mine.
First off, this wasn't nearly as time consuming as I thought it'd be. It's the perfect TV project. Since I started knitting, nearly 10 years ago, I have the hardest time just sitting and watching TV. I absolutely HAVE to have something to keep my hands busy. This project was great for that!
Second, for a mobile, you can't beat the price. I spent around $5 on this. The only things I had to purchase were extra felt sheets, and the baker's twine I used for hanging.
I used a few pieces of fabric on some of the rounds, but I found I liked the way all felt looked better. It just really made the embroidery stitches stand out (it seems like I may have read this very same thing over at HH).
I found my baker's twine here.
I cut all of my circles by hand. I traced around various household objects with a fabric pen and then cut everything out. I used objects (spool of thread, small tape measure, suction cup) that had similar measurements to what Ashley recommended. * Just so you know, I've added the Sizzix Big Shot she recommended to my Christmas list this year. Fingers crossed that i get it! I have so many plans for that machine (think garlands galore).
Our ceilings are 8ft so I didn't make my mobile nearly as long as the ones over at HH. This means I didn't need quite as many rounds as she did. I ended up doing 5 strands. The 4 outside strands had 4 completed rounds on them and the center strand had 6. I ended up using a total of 44 rounds.
I used a 15" hoop, which I painted to coordinate with the rounds.
One good thing about this mobile is that you can use it for years. It's not really babyish, and would be fine in a child's room. Shoot, Han is 13 and she wants one for her room.
I'm hoping to be back to blogging more frequently, at least until Zoe arrives. It's been a LONG time since I've tended to a newborn so I'm not exactly sure how much free time to expect. My guess is, not much.