-->

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

DIY - Faux Antiqued Pumpkins




It seems like you can always find inexpensive foam pumpkins in all the craft stores.  There are oranges, browns and even greens (I guess those are technically squashes), but never white.  I can never find cheap small white pumpkins.  This year, I decided to do something about it.

I bought a collection of various foam pumpkins.  The larger ones, which I haven't finished yet, I got at Target for $2 each.  The smaller ones came from Big Lots at a buck each.  Wal-Mart also has the small pumpkins for about the same price.  I was in Michael's today and they have their Fall decor items on sale this week.  Basically, there's no shortage of these cheap pumpkins.



So you take your pumpkins, and gather the following:
  • brown craft paint
  • antique white craft paint
  • crackle medium
  • glaze

Directions:
  • Paint a couple of thin coats of the brown craft paint onto your pumpkins and let them dry.
  • Following the directions on your crackle medium, apply crackle.
  • Next top coat with the antique white.

After pumpkins have completely dried, do another coat of antique white.  Do this until you like the look you have.  Alot of my cracks were filled in, but there were just the right kind of crack let after my third coat.  The reason I didn't stop at one coat is because if  you brush the first topcoat over the glazing medium too hard, you'll smudge it and it won't look so pretty.  I tried two different crackle mediums, one that you let dry completely before you brush on the topcoat, and one that you just let dry until tacky before brushing on the topcoat, and they both smudged in spots.  The extra topcoat layers hide this.

Once your final topcoats have dried, it's time to glaze.  See here for my glazing tutorial.  

After you've glazed, you might want to go back and paint your stems.  I just used my brown craft paint on mine.


Here's a close-up of my finished pumpkins.



 These beauties are great for a neutral Fall look and for Halloween.


Linking to:
Wow us Weds
Creative Spark 
Made by Me
DIY Fall Festival
Sugar & Spice 
Hookin' Up With HOH
Liz Marie


5 crafty peeps said:

  1. This is such a great idea! I am dragging some of my pumpkins out of my Donation Bin right now! Thanks so much for coming out to the party at Clean and Scentsible. So nice to see you! I'll be featuring this on my Facebook page. Have a great week!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fabulous! I must try this; thanks for sharing!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE these- I am all for a neutral look, and these are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how these look!

    I found very pretty white glass pumpkins for $1 each at the Dollar Tree this year. They're the small ones but I love them. I have them atop two antique brass candlesticks(family heirlooms) on top of my wood pellet stove with my wooden dough bowl (another heirloom!) full of mini pumpkins & acorns. It looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete