-->

Friday, April 23, 2010

Terrariums

So I've been picking up these glass containers at Goodwill whenever I run across them. 

I also found this Ball jar that's older than I am, for a quarter.

I've been planning to make some terrariums for awhile and I thought these would be perfect.  I went all around, getting my supplies and picked out small plants that I thought would be suitable.  After I began my layering, I quickly realized that the containers were going to be too small and I wouldn't be able to get the lids on.  I'm doing this in my kitchen so I don't really want to leave everything and go look for more containers.  Also, that kinda defeats the purpose of trying to be thrifty.  In the end, I managed to make two enclosed terrariums with only a little Irish moss in them.  And one open terrarium (I used a glass bowl from the coffee table that was holding potpourri).  The others, I decided to treat as flower pots.  I do like the way they all turned out, but I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get the full look I was going for. 

Here they are.

Here's the one in the glass bowl.

And the baby got marbles.

If you're insterested in making your own terrarium, go here.
Of course, Martha has some info too.

Linking to:

Featured at:
 UndertheTableandDreaming 

20 crafty peeps said:

  1. What a cute idea. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melissa! I tried to reply to you via e-mail, but you have a noreply@blogger thingy going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to try making terrariums for awhile now, but every time I try projects like that they fail miserably. They turned out very cute, aren't old jars the best. I always look for them at the thrift store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! I love the color they add...good job & I'm inspired to dig around for some jars!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Love this idea - off to goodwill to find my treasures!

    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Jen @ Noting Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great...I should really try this. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these! They bring back some great memories as I used to help my Grandmother care of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so sweet and cheerful! Thanks for the links. I would like to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I am here from the Sunday Showcase Party. You are a very good thrift store shopper! Impressive terrariums!
    -Mama E
    homeandheartsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your jars and your terrariums and ideas! I just posted on my moss rock solution to my longing for springtime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super cool. These have been on my to do for awhile and I finally got around to making them with my little guy this weekend. Yours look fabulous. I really like the one in the round bowl. The Ball jar is awesome! Thanks for linking to the Sunday Showcase! Hope you have a great week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! I'll be featuring your terrariums today! Stop by and grab a featured button if you like! Thanks for joining the Sunday Showcase Party! ~Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice idea! I like the marbles too. I have a jar in my pantry full of my childhood marbles. Dropping by from BNOTP, #7.

    Allison
    AtticMag

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm very interested in learning how to make these terreriums, I'll certainly check out how to do it. I've always wanted to make one and be able to keep the lid on the jar.
    Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think they are cute!! I made one with a cloche a few weeks back. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just attempted my first terrarium - I had a lot of fun doing it. Your ideas are great

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok, I am seriously going to have move closer to you!! I have been looking for cute jars like this and can't find them!! So much fun!! Thanks again for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your project has been featured at Veronica's Korner. Please stop by an grab your Featured button. http://veronicas-korner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adorable terraria! For tips and links on how to keep them healthy and happy check out the F&M:

    http://www.thefernandmossery.com/

    ReplyDelete