-->

Friday, October 29, 2010

Foodie Friday No. 9 - Potluck

Welcome to the 9th Foodie Friday!

What is Foodie Friday? Well, it's a bit like a modern day recipe swap. We'll meet here each Friday to link up our recipes. Most weeks we'll have a theme, but sometimes, we'll do an all-out potluck. I'm open to suggestions as to what the next week's theme should be so feel free to leave those in the comments.
I went to the grocery store today and they were stocking the shelves with all of the Christmas candy (chocolate covered cherries?  yes, please!) and holiday baking stuff.  I can't believe it's almost here!!  I know that the linky parties are about to explode with holiday goodness.  Are you ready?


I wasn't going to post a recipe today, but after my trip to the store, I was inspired.  Here's a little recipe for Candied Pecans that I found three years ago on Gluten-Free Girl and The Chef.  I've made these so many times, I've lost count.  They definitely get made at each year at Christmas time and last year, we gave Han's teachers a tin of them for gifts.  One teacher ate most of his before the day was over and the other teacher said she had to hide her's over Christmas break so that she husband wouldn't eat them all.  Shauna, THE Gluten Free Girl, described them in her post as being like "candied crack" and I'd say she's about right.  

Candied Pecans from Gluten-Free Girl
1 teaspoon cold water
1 egg white
1 pound large pecans (4 cups) *
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt

Beat water and egg white until frothy., Mix well with pecans. Combine sugar, salt and cinnamon. Mix well with pecans. Spread on a cookie sheet. Bake at 225 degrees for 1 hour. Still occasionally. ( I stir every 15 minutes).

* Your eyes do not deceive you.  One thing the store hadn't stocked were the bags of pecan halves so I used lightly salted mixed nuts instead.  While they make a good substitute, they're no match for straight pecans.

Alright, let's link up!

3 crafty peeps said:

  1. I love this idea. I'm not posting on my blog anymore so should I just post a recipe on here in the comments? Or am I confused (would not be the first time) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for inviting me to post on your link up! I'm a huge foodie and I'm always looking for another food lover like me!
    Those nuts are making my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Joseph's Grainery! You've got a fun blog. I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete